Tribology is the science and engineering of interacting surfaces in relative motion. It includes the study and application of the principles of friction, lubrication and wear. Tribology involves a combination of disciplines, primarily mechanical engineering, materials science, physics and (surface) chemistry.
Tribology principles can be used for:
- Problem-solving in existing products/equipment, improving lifetime, reliability, functional performance.
….but much better:
- Prediction & prevention in development & design of products and equipment :
- Predicting and preventing reliability and manufacturing problems before products reach the market
- Reducing costs: development lead time, less trial & error, shorter time-to-market, equipment maintenance
- Enabling new functionality through advanced tribological innovations
Tribology is where many scientific & engineering disciplines meet and work together: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Materials Science & Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, etc.